15/04/2009 06:12:49

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Police Video

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
texascop View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote texascop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Police Video
    Posted: 04 April 2007 at 16:26

An officer was working patrol. He happened upon a man and woman who had run out of gas. They are both black, although that is probably not an issue as the incident is not racially motivated. The man, who is very much overweight, was pushing the car on a busy street. The officer, not having a push bumper to push the stalled vehicle safely with, pulled in behind them and activated his overhead lights. He also activated his video camera.

The man was not wearing a shirt, and was wearing loose fitting shorts which began to fall down as he pushed the vehicle. He was also, I believe, was wearing loose fitting boxers under his shorts. The boxers also began to fall down, exposing his butt cheeks. He hitched up his shorts when they began to fall, but it was a problem for him. The car was pushed into a parking lot where fuel was available, however, the incline made it difficult for the man to push the vehicle to the pump. The officer apologized for not having a push bumper and offered to assist the man in pushing the vehicle to the pump. The man declined the offer of help.

Upon reviewing the video, the officer found the falling pants issue amusing, and made a digital copy of the video. He included innocuous music, and forwarded the video via e-mail to his sergeant, at the sergeant's request. He titled the e-mail, "Another day at the office." Then, as others heard about the video, he forwarded it to other officers, to include the Chief of Police, two Deputy Chiefs of Police, Lieutenants, Sergeants, Detectives, a Texas Ranger, and other officers. The video was forwarded by others, including the Chief of Police, to two Deputy City Managers (one of whom is black), a Municipal Court Judge, and a Lieutenant who is the husband of a District Judge. None of them found the video disturbing and in turn, many forwarded the video again.

Someone posted the video on YouTube, but it was not the officer who made the video. A television production company saw the video and filed a freedom of information request to officially obtain the video from the City. This is allegedly when the City Manager first learned of the existence of the video.

The City Manager demanded that the Chief of Police fire the officer who made the video. The Chief of Police conducted an investigation and determined that no law had been violated and no internal policy had been violated. (Certainly, this incident points out a deficiency in the Department's written policies, and I understand the policy will be tightened to avoid a similar future incident.)

The officer is a seventeen year veteran who is on a committee that is reviewing police officer pay. The (Black) Deputy City Manager suggested to the Chief of Police at the outset of the investigation that this was an opportunity for the City to get rid of an outspoken officer who was on the salary review committee. The Chief of Police told the Deputy City Manager that his comment amounted to a vendetta, and that he would have no part of it. The Chief of Police refused to discipline the officer, as no law or policy was violated. The City Manager gave the Chief the choice of firing the officer or being fired himself.

The Chief then announced his retirement publicly and denied that this incident was the impetus for his retirement. However, it is well known that there has been growing friction between the Chief and the City Manager, and the Chief told the officer not to worry about it. Unofficially, he said that this incident was just the straw that broke the camel's back. The officer offered to accept punishment to avoid placing the Chief of Police in this position. The Chief refused to discipline an officer who has violated no law or policy.

The City Manager has obtained a list of every City employee who received the video, and who forwarded the video after receiving it using a City owned computer and e-mail account. That is, he knows that much higher ranking personnel than this officer viewed and forwarded the video. He has demanded that the investigation be re-opened, found two police officers who neither received nor forwarded the video to investigate, and took the Chief of Police out of the chain-of-command (since he viewed and forwarded the video himself) for the purpose of this investigation.

The officer expects to be disciplined, even though he did not violate any law or policy, and it has been reported that the City Manager has instructed the investigators to recommend punishment ranging from a day off without pay to termination. 

The video was obtained from an un-named source, who I am assured was not the officer involved, and aired on the local news. The wife of the man in the video has complained, via the news media, that it was an embarrassment for the video to be shown and feels that the officer failed in his duty to assist the public without prejudice. Neither she nor her husband has filed an official complaint with the police department or city officials at this time.

The officer involved has contacted me and asked, since I have been teaching and involved in police ethics for 16 years, would I be willing to testify as an expert in Police Ethics at a hearing or any other court proceeding as to the merits of this incident in the light of Police Ethics. I have agreed to offer testimony; however, I do not believe I can represent myself as an expert. That should be determined by the court.

In the mean time, I would like to encourage knowledgeable individuals in the field of Police Ethics to offer an analysis and opinion on this incident. That is, I need to hear other voices on this issue. I am hoping that others may broaden my perspective and help me cut to the heart of the issue as it pertains to this officer. I am looking for careful analysis.

Unlike, perhaps, the UK and Canada, the State of Texas has no legal requirement for Peace Officers to treat the public with respect. That is, while the officer violated no law, there is the question of the dignity of the citizen involved. In this state, a person in a public place, like a city street, may be photographed or videoed without the person’s express consent.

Additionally, reality television programs frequently air video footage of citizen-police incidents that could be construed as embarrassing to the subject of the video. In this case, the man’s face is not toward the camera, although he turns his head to the side for a brief second, which may or may not have been enough for an acquaintance to identify him.

I am conducting my own analysis of the incident, but do not want to prejudice the thinking of others by voicing my opinion at this time. I need thoughtful analysis of the issues in light of the facts of the delima as presented. Please do not post a response in light of local or national law or policy that is different from the facts of this case. I want to thank anyone who responds in advance, as I value additional perspectives and analysis.

Texas Cop
johnjones View Drop Down

Quote johnjones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2007 at 18:37

My immediate response to this dilemma is: Was the motorist afforded a duty of care? The answer. clearly, is no.

Another perspective: What if I were that motorist and suffered that embarrassment? How would I feel then about the police department? Would this incident increase or erode my confidence in law enforcement?

Finally, it could be argued that whether or not there was a policy or regulation in place covering this kind of incident, is immaterial if the above questions are faced up to honestly.

Of course, none of us has a lock on truth regarding these complex questions. The above thoughts are offered simply in the interests of provoking discussion.

john jones
texascop View Drop Down

Quote texascop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2007 at 20:10

John,

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I agree that the motorist was not afforded a duty of care. For my benefit, and the benefit of others who read this, would you define your understanding of "a duty of care?"

I also agree that the motorist is justified in feeling embarrassment and feeling a degree of animosity towards the officer and his department. Additionally, I agree that the existence or non-existence of a law or policy does not override the application of common sense.

Then the question that comes to mind is this: If the officer violated no law or policy, however, failed to apply common sense and a duty of care towards the public, then what is the appropriate action? That is, how should the department address an error in judgement? Training? Censure? Admonishment? Termination? Where does his action fall on the scale between good and evil? And what of those in positions of responsibility, who viewed the video, showed no concern nor took any action, and forwarded the video to others?

Chris Cherry

Edited by texascop
Texas Cop
texascop View Drop Down

Quote texascop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2007 at 22:01

I am posting two newspaper articles related to the events described above.

03/28/2007

City manager, chief deny rift cause of retirement

Colin Guy - Staff Writer
Midland Reporter-Telegram

- Councilwoman believes ongoing tension may have been a factor in police chief's retirement announcement.

City Manager Rick Menchaca and Police Chief John Urby have both denied that Urby's decision to retire was related to a disagreement over whether or not to fire an officer for releasing video footage from a police cruiser's dashboard camera to the Internet.

Televised reports have cited unnamed police sources alleging that Menchaca requested the termination of a Midland Police Department officer for disseminating video footage of a motorist pushing his stalled vehicle while his pants were falling down.

Menchaca said an Internal Affairs investigation of the officer is underway, but denied requesting the termination of the officer and told the Reporter-Telegram he is still waiting for a full report regarding the incident. Menchaca said he did not know the officer's name.

"I don't have all the information yet, I haven't seen all the information yet and I don't want to jump to conclusions when the information hasn't been completed," he said.

Menchaca said Urby has discussed retiring for two to three years, and that while he did not know specifically when he would retire, that Urby's announcement on Monday was not unexpected.

Urby told the Reporter-Telegram that he has been considering retirement for a while and the timing of his resignation and the Internal Affairs investigation were coincidental.

However, District 1 City Councilwoman LuAnn Morgan said she believes there has been ongoing tension between Midland's highest ranking police officer and Menchaca and that the incident involving the video may have contributed to Urby's decision.

"I think that was kind of the straw that broke the camel's back," Morgan said, adding that the thinks there is "a whole lot more to it" and she hopes that other members of the City Council agree that the situation needs to be studied.

"I'm disappointed, I think John is a super police officer," Morgan said. "I hate to see him go and I would hope that we can get to the bottom of it."

Mayor Mike Canon told the Reporter-Telegram he was not aware of any sustained tension between Urby and Menchaca and that he believes they had a healthy working relationship, adding that there may have been some incidental tension while discussing the incident with the video footage, but nothing out of the ordinary within the context of that type of situation.

"I'm very disappointed that John Urby has decided to retire, he was a tremendous asset for our community and city," Canon said. "He did a great job and was an excellent policeman and executive officer."

During an interview with the Reporter-Telegram, Menchaca was also complimentary of Urby's service, saying that he has "done a great job for over 29 years and over the last nine years as chief."

Menchaca added that Urby "has left us in great shape," and noted that last year the MPD received recognition as a Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act (CALEA) Flagship Agency, an honor he said is reserved for a very small percentage of police departments.

Menchaca said it will probably take about four to six weeks to develop the selection process for replacing Urby and which qualifications his successor should have. He said it is possible city officials will use a process similar to what was used when searching for a new fire chief last year.

04/05/2007

Police officers condemn city manager

Lynsey Bradley
Midland Reporter-Telegram

- Midland Municipal Police Officers Association calls City Manager Rick Menchaca a "tyrant" and looks to City Council and citizens for department resolutions.

The fight to resolve pay and recruitment issues drove members of Midland's police officers association to City Hall on Wednesday, where they declared intentions to "go over the heads of city management" to solve problems within the department.

Less than one week after the unexpected retirement of Midland Police Chief John Urby, Midland Municipal Police Officers Association members showed their contempt with City Manager Rick Menchaca and said they will take their message straight to the City Council.

"We have waited on the city management of Midland to show leadership and they have failed. We have waited on those in charge of this city to treat us with the dignity and respect that we deserve and we have waited long enough," MMPOA President Aaron Smith said.

Surrounded by fellow members, Smith said police aren't afraid of working under a "tyrant" at City Hall, but they refuse to continue to "suffer" from the city's lack of attention.

"I'll be real specific about the tyrant I'm talking about; I'm talking about the city manager," Smith said. "Right now we are about 19 officers short. That number is including those in training and in the academy, so it's really an even larger number."

City of Midland Public Information Officer Tina Jauz said Menchaca had no comment in regards to the association's statements. But Mayor Mike Canon said the association is entitled to statements made in Wednesday's press conference.

"We take their concerns seriously, but it's something that isn't new today. We've been looking at these issues for the last six months," he said. "We're just as concerned now as we have been. The fact that they felt the need to hold this press conference won't change our concerns."

Canon explained the first part of a study on Midland's ability to pay relative to the pay of other counties in the area, which began last fall, has been completed, and is expected to be looked at during the April 10 council meeting.

"We want them to be properly paid, we want to be competitive," he said.

"We'll take a look at it and we'll go from there. But just because a group of officers doesn't think they are properly paid doesn't mean they aren't. If it comes back that they think they aren't, but we think they are, then we will just have a disagreement there."

An MMPOA press release stated that officials have been aware of MPD's double-digit deficit for some time but have "refused to be competitive in our job market," affecting Midland's recruitment abilities.

David Hunter, the administrative services director for the city, said the Council recently approved hiring a full-time recruiter, who just started this week. The city's recruiter will assist with police recruitment efforts, he explained.

"We've also gone to an online application system, which was effective the first part of January," he said. "Since we've implemented that, we've had about 80 applicants apply online. Now, it hasn't translated into that many hires, but we're hoping it will. We'll do what we can in working with the department; just because they apply doesn't mean they will be hired."

Hunter said the MPD isn't the only entity in the city that is having problems with personnel. "We are having difficulty in all areas. The economy is good, but salaries don't move that quickly."

Smith said the main reason for MPD personnel shortage is Midland's inability to compete with surrounding towns. "We're losing people to (surrounding towns) who are offering signing bonuses and are paying better than we do," he said.

"You've got some of these young men coming home from being overseas looking for jobs; but if you ask them about joining the force, they're not going to ask about benefits, their gonna ask, 'How much will you pay me?'"

But Hunter believes the main reasons for the shortage in MPD personnel, are retirements and turnover, a sentiment backed up by Urby last week who told the Midland County Commissioners Court, "Twenty-five officers are currently eligible for retirement and within another five years an additional 28 officers will also be eligible for retirement."

"It takes us longer to recruit and train officers," Hunter said. "It's not a job where you can hire someone and they start tomorrow. I'm hoping that, if everyone will hang with us, things will be looking up soon."

Smith said the association is asking for a change in philosophy, a department that will pay and a city that will thrive.

"These are all issues the new chief will have to deal with," he said. "There is no way to solve these problems before Chief Urby leaves; but there are going to be issues that need to be dealt with and the new chief will need the support of city council members."

Though salary, recruitment and officer retention are issues that the association said need to be addressed, Smith said there are other problems reside within the department, but would not say specifically what those problems were.

Smith remarked that it's "understandable that Urby was tired of fighting with city management over the years." He said Urby has "taken the high road and not publicly addressed issues of conflict with City Hall, but the people working at the police department know what is going on."

The association stated that officers "face danger and death from criminals on the street while they face disrespect and unfair treatment from the people running this city."

It is time for citizens to "stand up and demand that they get the services they deserve" and contact their city council members, Smith said.

Edited by texascop
Texas Cop
johnjones View Drop Down

Quote johnjones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2007 at 02:40

Chris

I wonder whether this might be a situation demanding a lateral thinking approach. You say there are no policies governing this kind of conduct.

What about not proceding punitively, despite the injury to the aggrieved party, and look at the possibility of bringing this injured party and those officers who engaged in forwarding the video images into a room together to talk through the situation. In this way there might be an opportunity for learning on the part of the police personnel, and an opportunity to restore the victim's faith in law enforcement.

Wouldn't it be refreshing in police circles to address issues like these in a way that learning and personal development is maximized? In situations like these, and where an approach like this one is adopted, there really would be no need to resort to an exisiting policy, or, indeed, to develop yet another policy.

I would submit the to proceed summarily in a punitive fashion is not always the best route to go.

john jones
Peter Villiers View Drop Down

Quote Peter Villiers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2007 at 09:32

I note that the originator of this item asks for comments and add mine on the basis that the more comments he receives, the better, and that my comments are purely personal.  It is highly doubtful they are any more knowledgeable than those of anyone else, and whilst it would be possible to relate abstruse ethical theory to this story, I do not believe it to be necessary.

I have assumed that the facts as reported are true.

For simplicity, I label the main characters as follows.

A          The man pushing the car

B          His wife

C          The police officer who made and distributed the video

D         C’s chief officer

E          The city manager

Comments

A and B would appear to have done nothing wrong, and to be the victims of what is at the least inappropriate behaviour by an official of the state who is in a position to act as another citizen could not do.

I cannot see what legitimate reason that C can claim that he should have made this video, nor distributed it.  Moreover, once he had made and sent off the video, as it were, he had no further control of it.  I would assume that he should have been aware of that.  (This is the reasonable person argument).

In my view, what C may not have been illegal or forbidden by regulations, but it was wrong.  It was not a proper use of police time and equipment and it served no useful policing purpose.  It cannot have improved the view of A and B of the police.  It could be argued that it brings the police service into disrepute.  Those views should have been apparent to C as a trained and experienced police officer who is expected to use his discretion for the public good, and not to amuse his colleagues.

The punishment, if any, should be proportionate to what occurred, and I should have thought this a good opportunity for restorative justice.  (i.e., A, B and C should sort it out amongst themselves, with someone to act as the voice of common sense.)  I cannot see why this episode should be made into a make or break issue for the police chief, and it is clearly unethical if someone is dismissed from any position on grounds that have been ‘manufactured’, as it were.  (“Here’s our opportunity at last!”)

Clearly, as with many controversies, the original point at issue is in danger of becoming lost in further argument. 

Peter Villiers
texascop View Drop Down

Quote texascop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2007 at 00:10

Peter,

Thank you for organizing the issues in the manner presented. I very much like the way you have done that.

With regard the officer making the video, when his overhead warning lights were activated, the video camera was also automatically activated. As might be expected, this is an automatic function because in the heat of the moment, during critical incidents, it has been found that officers often forget to turn on the video camera.

I agree that more has been made of this incident than it warranted. However, as William Tafoya once noted, ethical delimas can become the center of an ever more rapidly spinning vortex. Sometimes people on the edge of the incident find themselves sucked in to the vortex.

In this incident, the officer has found a mountain made of a mole hill. That is, as has been suggested, there were and are excellent opportunities for dealing with the root issue in a positive manner. However, the Chief of Police in this case has also been swept into the vortex, and now the City Manager is being swept in as well. It is interesting to note, that the officer, who started all of this when he copied the video, had no intention of setting off a series of events that would cause the Chief of Police to announce his retirement, nor that would provoke the local police association to publicly challenge the City Manager. Make no mistake, while the police association commented on man-power issues, the impetus for those remarks was the demand for termination and subsequent retirement announcement.

Then there are the others in positions of responsibility who contributed to the dissemination of the video, and whose names will eventually become known to the news media. The vortex can be relentless.

Texas Cop
Kiplin View Drop Down

Quote Kiplin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2007 at 07:04

Hi Texas Cop

I think your vortex description is quite a good one in this case as it seems a storm had been brewing for some time.

A CID Training School in the Uk has a Red Squirrel as its emblem the reason for this is. When a law firm was seeking a new employee to train and had several applicants it gave them a case to study overnight from which they could ask one question the next day. The case was:

A farmer had a problem with a red squirrel and one day he was so up set he took is shotgun and fired at the squirrel who was running into a barn. He missed the squirrel and hit a lamp.The lamp fell to the ground and set fire to the barn containing cows. Some of the cows ran out of the door over the wife of the farmer, the farmer ran into the barn to try and get the rest of the cows out. The barn burnt to the ground.

The next day when the perspective candidates arrived for interview they were asked what quetions they felt was the most important. One asked if the farmers wife was alright, another asked if the farmer had survived the fire, another asked if the cows were saved and another asked if the barn was insured. One candiate asked what happend to the Squirrel thats the one who got the job.

In this case you are asked to speak on a person's behalf keep an eye on the squirrel do not get side tracked by other issues.

Having viewed the above my opnion is whilst the officer has not broken any laws, policies or procedures in all honesty would he have liked himself or a member of his family to be made the centre of a joke. If the answer is no then whilst not accepting any addmission of guilt over any procedural issues he should accept the action taken was in hindsight insensitive to the feeling of others and offer a personal apology.

The other issues raised as a result of this sequence of events are issues that need to be dealt with seperatly as they raise a number of serious ethical issues that need to be resolved. 

Hope this adds to the debate ?

Kiplin
johnjones View Drop Down

Quote johnjones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2007 at 18:23
Attempting to place ourselves in the shoes of others is an eminently decent thing to do. How would I feel if I were the butt of this incident?  I agree with Kiplin that when an action of ours has been hurtful and wrong, that an apology is in order.  There is something entirely redemptive (for both parties) in the issuing of a sincere apology, even, and perhaps especially, when to do so might be to get us into legal difficulties.

We have an Aboriginal expression here in Canada that goes something like this: Never judge another man until you have walked at least two moons in his moccasins. Perhaps there is a message here regarding this situation we are discussing.
john jones
texascop View Drop Down

Quote texascop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2007 at 16:17

Kiplin,

Thank you for the story. I agree that it is important to keep an eye on the main issue. I also agree that a sincere apology is in order.

From the vortex:

Yesterday, the father-in-law of the City Manager is reported to have addressed the Mayor and City Council on behalf of his son-in-law. He called for an elevated discussion of the issues without name calling. He is reported to have ended by remarking about the "lame-brained cop" who criticized his son-in-law.

John Jones,

Well said.

Chris Cherry

Texas Cop
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>