15/04/2009 06:12:49

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Support for Dr John Jones - Walking the talk

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kiplin View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kiplin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Support for Dr John Jones - Walking the talk
    Posted: 15 April 2009 at 06:12
Globe and Mail - Canada
08 April 2009
This article appeared in the above title/site.
To view it in its entirity click this
link.
Ethics in Policing

Canada: Police ethics adviser quits over sponsors

The technical adviser to the ethics committee of the Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police has resigned over corporate sponsorship - including that of Taser International - of the group's annual conference.

He said there was "a shocking disconnect" between the lavish conferences for senior police and their increasing demands upon their rank-and-file that they refuse even a free coffee from the local doughnut store. "People now want their leaders to walk the talk," he said.

Anyone who has read the full article can do no more than support Dr John Jones for his stand on this issue.

I think we should show Dr Jones that we support his stand.
Kiplin
texascop View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote texascop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2009 at 12:16
I have known Dr. Jones for a number of years and consider him a friend. While I may be prejudiced by my familiarity with Dr. Jones, it does not diminish my ability to reason.

Dr. Jones recognized a "conflict of interest" issue and properly voiced his concerns through the appropriate channel. The outcome is clear, and a good man took a stand. That is, Dr. Jones recognized that the Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police determination that there were no issues with their corporate sponsorship policy placed him in a difficult position. As a man dedicated to the study of ethics, his credibility would be called into question if he had acquiesced. 

In the words of the Irish philosopher, Edmund Burke, "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." (Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents, 1770.)

I stand with Dr. Jones. Well done, Sir!
Texas Cop
 Post Reply Post Reply