15/04/2009 06:12:49

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Whistleblowing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
colin View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whistleblowing
    Posted: 17 May 2006 at 10:55

The Canadian government is planning to give bureaucratic whistleblowers $1,000 for exposing wrongdoing (see eg Toronto Star of 11th May 2006).
What do members think of this? Should there be cash payments in such circumstances? Should whistleblowers see it simply as their duty to report wrongdoing or should we accept that anything that helps expose wrongdoing is OK?

Colin.

Kiplin View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kiplin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2006 at 16:58

The problem with giving a standard reward at such a high value is it can create an agent provocatur senario. If I want to earn money I set someone up expose them and then claim the reward !!! They say that what some paid informants do???

Would it not be better for such proffesional standards reporting to be evaluated case by case and where it is felt worthy of reward or otherwise let the people dealing with the case give any reward they deem fit. In reality exposing corruption should be everyones responsibility and reward can come in different ways, promotion, job satisfaction etc.

I suspect the payment of a reward may also create an ethic challenge as to the motive of the person reporting the issues and question the validity of the witness.

Having said that police do pay informants for information and rewards are offered for information in criminal cases which lead to conviction so the offering of a reward is not new I expect the question is who should it be paid to. Should a Police officer get a reward for such evidence I thought police officers were alraedy paid to deal with corruption. Should any public servant be paid ?

What do other members think   

Kiplin
 Post Reply Post Reply