15/04/2009 06:12:49

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Drinking Alcohol Within Police Stations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Mr Orange View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mr Orange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drinking Alcohol Within Police Stations
    Posted: 06 November 2006 at 14:55

I refer to the article within the information room titled "Ban On Alcohol at Police Stations Urged" - Nov 4.

I understand that as a result of drinking alcohol after work an officer had a road accident whilst under the influence which has led the Solicitor-General to criticize this practice by police officers. It is not so much the fact that the officer had the accident under the influence but the fact that the Chief allows drinking alcohol to take place at the police station by off duty officers.

What is the big deal here? The individual officer should be responsible enough to not drink too much or not drive after consuming alcohol not the fact that they consumed the beverage on police premises. In my old police force we used to have bars so staff could drink after duty the feeling being that one could relax before going home without having to probably get changed out of uniform and walk to a public bar or if by going in uniform meant the likelihood of conflict.

What do others think? Does your police agency have a policy prohibiting drinking alcohol in the station or do you have a bar? Do you think it is wrong to drink alcohol in the station like the article suggests?

Mr. Orange
 Post Reply Post Reply