15/04/2009 06:12:49

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Organisational Corruption

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kiplin View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kiplin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Organisational Corruption
    Posted: 19 January 2007 at 10:47

I responded to the article from Canada the other day with regards to the paymnt made to a police officer by his own forces after the officer appears to have tried to expose corruption within the organisation and himself had become the victim of an organisatonal action against him.

I am undertaking reserach into organisational reponses to internal corruption and would be interested in any , views, opnions or experiences members may have with regards to organisational responses to internal corruption issues.

Not many people seem to be using the forum however I am assured that the identity of the users is anoymous. So please if you have a view share it with me it.

If you do not wish to publish your resonse on this notice borad we can use the private messenger attached to the forum. 

Thank

Kiplin

Kiplin
Mr Orange View Drop Down

Quote Mr Orange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2007 at 19:50

It was interesting to note the EiP poll result for December which indicated that 100% of respondents to the poll did not trust their local police agency.

This really sends out a big message. I am an ex police officer and always held my own organisation in the higest regard until I was subject of a discipline investigation. What happened not only shocked me but also frightend me to the point of losing complete trust in it. That feeling was very hard to take after I spent the best part of my life serving with pride. Since then I have had several people feed back to me instances of oppressive investigative techniques used in internal investigations which could be interpreted as corruption of the noble cause.

Have any other members heard or experienced similar circumstances?

Mr. Orange
JMurphy View Drop Down

Quote JMurphy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2008 at 08:49

I am new to this forum, but found it interesting to read the incidents that happen in other organizations. 

In my agency, we are going through a re-organization of command.  In their eyes, we have too many chiefs and not enough indians.  This is creating an uncomfortable enviroment with alot of nit-picking and in-fighting.  I have found that when acts by the administration that violate the rules and regulations or policy or the contract are pointed out to the administration; they either ignore the notice, penalize the notifying officer, or make blanket changes that impact and pressure subordinates.  Sometimes the peer pressure of "please don't make waves" or "look what happened that last time you caught them", makes it difficult for officers to continue to do the right thing and hold ALL members to the same level.

Kiplin View Drop Down

Quote Kiplin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2008 at 05:29

The posting by Mr Orange is I think a very strong view held by police officers who are placed under investigation. Having been an internal investigator and one being investigated I must say the experience is not a pleasant one. As an investigator you are seen by other officers as 'On the other side' and therefore 'one of them'. Yet in reality you are quite rightly expected by everyone to establish the evidence and let the evidence speak for itself. When you are being investigated you expect to be treated fairly, however the perception is you are not because of the deapth of the enquiry that is taking place. The reality is because of the nature of police oversight groups every issue and avenue  needs to be investigated and reported on in order to reassure everyone involved that the issue has been fully investiagetd and reported on. A good in deapth investigation has the ability to present the evidence supporting the complaint or not. In either case it is essential to show quite clearly to all involved the issue has been investigated. There will always be one party to the investigation who is not happy with the result.          ;           ;  

Kiplin
Kiplin View Drop Down

Quote Kiplin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2008 at 05:39

I am not surprised at the posting about the 'Organisational' issue with regards to internal standards and what really amounts to 'Professional Standards Reporting' it does seem from the poll published in the journal that the majority of people see unethical behaviour but would not report it because they feel they will not get the support of the 'Organisation' and that they will be seen as causing problemd rather than a person trying to resolve problems and preventing others from becoming involved in unethical behaviour.

Taking into account the poll results in the journal what does this posting  really say about personal and organisational ethics. ?

Do other members have any views?

Kiplin
 Post Reply Post Reply