Police Recruitment Processes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
riverside View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
  Quote riverside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Police Recruitment Processes
    Posted: 13 February 2007 at 11:23

With reference to the news article titled "Police hiring practices need second look" dated 12 February 2007 within the Information Room.

The article examines why police officers can go off the rails so soon after being hired and asks if there are flaws in the recruitment process within any given police agency.

EiP asks if there is a model recruitment process which could identify ethical flaws in character or is it just psychological conditioning by working in a police environment that affects the judgement of some to cause bizarre behaviour?

What does your police agency do to ensure ethical compatability between individual and organisation?

Administrator
Mr Orange View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mr Orange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2007 at 13:53

I know there have been plenty of studies carried out in relation to officers developing corrupt practices through peer pressure and organisational culture etc but the fact that some people display bizarre unethical behaviour intrigues me and I would be interested to learn if any one knows of specific studies in this area.

I do think that having a robust recruitment process helps but should only be regarded as a means to identify the incompatible traits for a police officer that is already within that person's character. Once recruited the organisation has to demonstrate and impose its values in shaping and developing the new officer rather than other internal or external influences.

Mr. Orange
 Post Reply Post Reply